InfoSec - Stackoverflow project progress

Aug 26, 2019 15:32 · 119 words · 1 minute read

Project 1 for Info Sec was released a couple days ago and I immediatley started working on it. And I’m glad I did: because it is damn challenging, stretching my gdb debugging skills. In fact, most of the last (5-6 hours) I’ve worked on the project has been me tinkering with gdb, inspecting various stack frames and dumping data living on the stack. In addition, I better understand the call and the ret assembly instructions. Specifically, I didn’t know (or maybe I once knew but just forgot) that when the caller invokes call, the instruction pushes the return address on the stack; similarly, when the callee invokes ret, the instruction pops the return the address off of the stack.